Job Title: Aquatics Assistant Director Branch: Oakbrook
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly), Part-Time
Reports to: Aquatics Director
Revision Date: 6/17/2019
Job: Grade Min Mid Max
4 $9.78 $12.22 $14.66
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Under the general direction of the Aquatics Director and consistent with the Christian mission and the policies and procedures set forth by the Summerville Family YMCA, the Aquatics Assistant is responsible for assisting in directing, implementing, and leading all aquatic activities. As a member of the professional staff, the Aquatics Assistant is a constructive member of the YMCA whose major priority is to serve the members and prospective members of the YMCA by exemplifying and upholding the highest standards set by the YMCA.
- Assist on supervising aquatics staff members.
- Assist on interviewing and hiring aquatics staff.
- Communicates information and program details effectively through email and telephone
- Processing payroll.
- Ordering supplies.
- Assist on scheduling program registrations.
- Assist on monitoring program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Assign cleaning duties to staff as warranted.
- Assist planning and conducting departmental meetings.
- Enforce management policies.
- Conduct lifeguard drills.
- Lifeguard, instruct swimming lessons, and teach other courses as required.
- Respond to participant feedback and requests for information.
- Thorough knowledge of Risk Management policies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Aquatics Coordinator.
- Using excellent customer service skills, establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other employees, officials, and all members of the general public.
- Inventories, plans, and prepares supplies and equipment for classes, programs and special events
- Creating and Managing lifeguard schedule with assistance from Aquatics Director.
- Management and staffing of the Y swim lesson program to include: “hands-on” teaching, planning and scheduling, marketing plans, registration procedures, parent handouts, program evaluations, and other related paperwork (80% – 20%). This includes time spent on deck with parents and swim instructors and/or lifeguards.
- Supervise Swim Team Coaches to ensure program quality.
- Provide coverage for shift changes and absentee staff.
- Planning and scheduling of private swim lessons.
- Participate in helping with aquatic special events as needed.
- Organize, direct, and supervise a variety of aquatic programs in the absence of the Aquatics Director.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with members, staff, and others contacted in the course of the work.
- Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Travel for YMCA business and/or training when necessary.
A 30-day review will be conducted after the employee start date. The purpose of such an initial introductory period is to provide an opportunity for both the Summerville Family YMCA and the new employee to assess their respective satisfaction and suitability to the job.
- High School graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- Previous experience in aquatics preferred
- At least 18 years of age
- Current certification in CPR, First Aid, Lifeguarding, LGI and WSI
Carrying _X_ Kneeling_X_ Pushing_X_ Sitting_X_
Climbing_X_ Lifting_X_(min 25 lbs) Running_X_ Stooping_X_
Crouching_X_ Pulling_X_ Standing_X_ Walking_X_
YMCA Competency Model: Team Leader
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development and recognition. Cultivate relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions, Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilities change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues ad inappropriate behavior or performances. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The above job description offers a synopsis of the Summerville Family YMCA’s Aquatics Assistant position. Various alternate jobs and duties may be assigned on a case by case basis. Any and all of this job description may be reviewed and altered by the Summerville Family YMCA and the Branch Director.