JOB TITLE: Lifestyle Coach Branch: ALL
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt (hourly), part-time
REPORTS TO: Director of Community Health
Job: Grade Min Mid Max 4 $9.78 $12.22 $14.66
Provide support and guidance to participants in the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program and implement standard ciricculum designed for the program.
- Deliver curriculum to program participants in effective, meaningful, and compelling ways
- Encourage group participation and interaction through the use of open-ended questions and other facilitation skills
- Create a safe, judgment free, and encouraging environment that is friendly and non-competitive for participants
- Cultivate participant commitment and support to drive retention
- Foster relationships between participants and make learning a shared responsibility of the group
- Capture and record weekly data for each participant (attendance, weight, physical activity minutes, food tracker completion) in electronic database according to data entry timing requirements
- Be accessible to participants before and after sessions, and outside of class as needed, to answer questions and provide follow up; schedule make-up sessions upon request
- Participate in all required Lifestyle Coach team discussions (meetings, emails, or conference calls) and professional development opportunities, offering ideas and tools for facilitation to other team members and remaining engaged at all times.
- Connect with Diabetes Prevention Program Coordinator on a regular basis to update on program status and progress and attend any relevant trainings
- Perform all other functions relating to the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, as needed
- Commitment to and support of the YMCA’s Mission and more specifically, the vision and goals of the Y’s focus on health seekers
- 1 year experience facilitating training to adult learners
- Knowledge of basic health, nutrition, and fitness required
- Must have strong communication and relationship building skills, the ability build community within a group, and have empathy for health seekers.
- Experience coaching one-on-one and in group settings and understanding components of behavioral changes
- Experience and proficiency with Listen First of motivational interviewing, required
- Ability to provide a quality experience for Members, Participants, Internal Customers and others by building strong relationships, inspiring confidence, influencing, communicating effectively, engaging with staff and community, and generating quality results
- Comfortable with data, possess strong computer skills, and attentive to detail
- Certification of CPR, AED, First Aid within 60 days of hire; Child Abuse Prevention, and Bloodborne Pathogens Certification within 30 days of hire
- Upon hire, completion of required Diabetes Prevention Program trainings including Orientation to Healthy Living at the Y, HIPAA training, Prerequisite to Lifestyle Coach training, Understanding Diabetes, Foundations of Listen First, and the Diabetes Prevention Program Cirriculum training
- Must be able to travel locally to class locations
- High school graduate or equivalent; one year or more of college preferred.
- At least 18 years of age
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire date.