Job Title: Development Director
FLSA Status: FT, Exempt
Pay Grade: starting at $42,000.00
Reports to: CEO
Revision Date: 01/02/2020
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Serves as a member of the CEO’s Executive Team, providing guidance and knowledge in promotion the YMCA’s mission through annual giving, government and foundation grants, staff gifts, and special events. Assists the CEO and the YMCA in representing the YMCA at meetings with community partners and positing the YMCA as a “charity of choice” within the local community. S/he will lead by example and help implement strategies to fund ongoing initiatives that will support the Summerville Family YMCA mission.
- Develops organizational fundraising goals in concert with the CEO and drives the fundraising plan, strategy, policies and procedures for the Association.
- Works closely with the CEO and the Board’s Financial Development committee to identify new initiatives and opportunities designed to increase the donor base.
- Develops systems and manages resources needed to carry out the fundraising plans. Establishes and monitors the financial development department budget for the YMCA.
- Assists in planning and implementation of special events, projects and committees when needed.
- Assists in recruiting volunteer leadership for overall annual campaign and develops an effective, comprehensive annual campaign program. Works closely with executive leadership.
- Develop and maintain volunteer tracking database for the association.
- Collaborates with Executive Team to develop communication and campaign strategies to successfully market the annual campaign. Supports plans for identifying, cultivating and soliciting branch annual fund prospects.
- Works with Leadership Team to identify, recruit, and train branch volunteers in gift solicitation.
- Grant writing.
- Assists in the data management of annual gifts and conducts regular analysis and reporting of annual campaign progress.
- Provides assistance for timely and appropriate acknowledgements of annual campaign gifts.
- Ability to effectively present information on programs and membership and respond to those questions from donors, volunteers, senior leaders and the general public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (TEAM LEADER): 720
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- BS/BA or equivalent, with experience in fundraising, grant writing and special events and community health initiatives.
- Proven experience in cultivating and soliciting leadership level gifts to annual fund and soliciting donations.
- Familiarity with the principles of annual campaign organization and marketing.
- Proven experience in working closely with volunteers and in staffing volunteer committees/events.
- Fundraising experience in capital campaigns, annual giving campaigns and endowments.
- Excellent writing, organizational and communications skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, volunteers, senior leaders, and the general public.
- Understanding of and enthusiasm for the mission of the YMCA.
- Previous YMCA experience preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
Carrying _X_ Kneeling_X_ Pushing_X_ Sitting_X_
Climbing_X_ Lifting_X_ Running_X_ Stooping_X_
Crouching_X_ Pulling_X_ Standing_X_ Walking_X_