Position: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Exempt (Full-time)
Reports to: CEO Job: Min Mid Max
Revision Date: 03-03-2020 $36,000 $42,985.24 $49,970.47
This position reports directly to the President/CEO. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall administration of the branch including fiscal management, membership and program development, facility management meeting the highest quality standards, financial development and annual support, board/volunteer development partnering with board members, staff development leading a team and advocating for the Y at the highest level in our community.
Qualified candidates will have a bachelor’s degree as well as three+ years of executive management experience (YMCA preferred). The selected candidate will have a proven record of successful operations management, excellent analytical skills, and a demonstrated ability to manage the scope and diversity of responsibilities. Qualifications preferred but not required include certification as a Multi Team or Branch Leader, an in depth understanding of the YMCA’s mission, professional experience in YMCA programs, and a proven ability in community and government relations.
- Collaborate with the Association Office and Board to fully engage community leaders, corporations, members, staff and volunteers in a successful Annual Campaign.
- Actively participate and be a leader in Special Event fundraising efforts.
- Focus on identification, cultivation, and closing formal requests to capable sources of major gifts.
- Achieve 100% Board Giving and high levels of staff participation in Annual Campaign.
- Establish and attain goals for special events and work closely with Senior Director, Philanthropy and Strategic Initiatives for grant acquisition(s).
- Serve as Executive and principal staff person to the Board.
- Identify and engage key influential leaders as Board Members and help them to embrace the Mission.
- Develop active Board Committees where board members and community volunteers can help drive our mission and impact deep into our community.
- Develop and promote a member-focused staff culture based on relationship building, active listening and service above self.
- Insure that all personnel policies and procedures are adhered to within the Family Center.
- Maintain current job descriptions, complete timely performance evaluations of all staff, and ensure that payroll and personnel information is accurate and submitted on a timely basis.
- Develop, implement and maintain personal development and recognition plans for staff.
- Develop and implement staff training activities throughout the year for designated department directors; monitor and suggest trainings for department directors as appropriate.
- Work closely with the Human Resources Director in all areas of staff development as outlined above.
- Develop, manage and achieve the annual operating budget for the Family Center.
- Implement strategies to grow membership and program enrollment through successful marketing campaigns, high quality programs and great customer service.
- Continually look for ways to incorporate more efficient operating practices.
- Display a high level of fiscal competence through accurate budget forecasting and variance reporting.
Program and Membership Operations
- Develop and create a relationship-centered, sustaining experience between individuals and the Y.
- Ensure that the member experience is at the center of everything we do.
- Routinely evaluate program and service quality and institute corrective action when necessary.
- Adapt to the needs of our community when necessary.
- Maintain a clean, safe facility that lends itself to great customer service.
- Guarantee high quality equipment and supplies for our members to enjoy.
- Create and maintain an atmosphere that values diversity and inclusion.
- Work directly with the Directors to implement and maintain quality programs.
- Works directly with the Marketing Director to develop promotional plans for various programs.
- Leverage community leadership and connections to position the YMCA as the leading human development organization.
- Identify and engage with leaders and groups within the service community to tell the Y Story and discern optimal partners related to our three (3) areas of focus (Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility).
- Maintain facility, equipment and vehicles according to State and Federal regulations and YMCA standards, preventative maintenance plans and facility action plan.
- Monitor and control systems, practice and training as it relates to risk management and safety for participants/employees especially child abuse reporting policies and procedures; working closely with the Human Resources Director in this regard
- Manage association-wide projects when needed.
- Must attend all Finance and Board meetings as scheduled.
- Ability to participate in Task Force Groups for the Association.
- Any other duties as required by supervisor.
EDUCATION, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor’s Degree
- Three (3) + years of executive management experience (YMCA preferred)
- Proven record of successful operations management
- Excellent analytical skills and a demonstrated ability to manage the scope and diverse responsibilities.
- Certification as a Multi-Team or Branch Leader is a definite plus including in-depth understanding of the YMCA’s mission, professional experience in YMCA programs and a proven ability in community and government relations
YMCA COMPETENCIES (MULTI-TEAM OR BRANCH LEADER):
- Mission and Community Oriented: Reinforces YMCA values within the organization and the community. Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising and policy leadership levels.
- People Oriented: Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
- Results Oriented: Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Ensures execution of plans. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors. Institutes sound accounting procedures, investment policies and financial controls.
Personal Development Oriented: Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Fosters a learning environment by embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change.
- Must complete successful criminal background check and drug screening.
- All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. The YMCA promotes an equal employment opportunity work place which includes reasonable accommodation of otherwise qualified disabled applicants and employees. Please see your manager should you have any questions about this policy or these job duties.
This job description may not be all-inclusive and employees are expected to perform all other duties as assigned and directed by management. Job descriptions and duties may be modified when deemed appropriate by management.