Job Title: Child Watch Attendant
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly) Part-Time
Reports To: Child Watch Supervisor Job: Grade Min Mid Max Revision Date: 1-31-2018 I $7.25 $9.06 $10.88
General Statement of Duties
The position of Child Watch Attendant is a part-time position located at our Downton & Ponds Branch. Primary duties are, but not limited to, providing a safe and fun environment for children while their parent(s) are exercising at the Wellness Center.
The employee is required to take the required 2 YMCA training courses online within the first 14 days of employment. CPR certification within 3 months of hire.
- Sign-in/out children.
- Placing nametag on child and all items brought in by child, i.e. diaper bags, backpacks.
- Issuing pagers to parent(s) of child(ren) with allergies or other medical concerns.
- Patrolling indoor and outdoor play areas for trash or hazardous materials.
- Scanning equipment to ensure in safe and working condition.
- Ensure children are being played with and entertained.
- Ensure diapers and clothing are being changed when necessary.
- Ensure that children are being supervised and cared for correctly.
- Thorough knowledge of Risk Management policies.
- Thorough knowledge of Emergency Procedures, i.e. fire or inclement weather.
- Administer discipline in a fair manner. ONLY acceptable form of discipline is TIME OUT!! Parents are notified when discipline was necessary.
- Ensure parents are being kept informed of children’s behavior.
- Set an example for the members by displaying YMCA Core Values: caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with members, staff, and others contacted in the course of the work.
- Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
CPR/AED Certified (child and adult)
High School diploma or currently enrolled.
Carrying _X_ Kneeling_X_ Pushing_X_ Sitting_X_
Climbing_X_ Lifting_X (min 25 lbs)_ Running_X_ Stooping_X_
Crouching_X_ Pulling_X_ Standing_X_ Walking_X_
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The above job description offers a synopsis of the Summerville Family YMCA’s Child Watch Attendant position. Various alternate jobs and duties may be assigned on a case by case basis. Any and all of this job description may be reviewed and altered by the Summerville Family YMCA and the HR Director.