Job Title: Aquatics Coordinator
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly), Part-Time
Reports To: Aquatics Director
Job: Grade Starting Pay
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director and consistent with the Christian mission and the policies and procedures set forth by the Summerville Family YMCA, the Aquatic Coordinator is responsible for providing assistance with the day-to-day operations of the Wellness aquatic department including but not limited to: swim lessons, lifeguard management, and in-service training. It is expected that the coordinator will possess leadership, organizational and communications skills and be a positive point of contact for participants, parents, staff, and community partners. This position will assist in staff recruitment, training, and development. The coordinator will also serve new and existing members to identify opportunities for connectedness within the aquatics department. It is anticipated that the incumbent’s work time will be evenly divided between programmatic and administrative functions.
- Assist the Aquatic Director in hiring, training, scheduling, and supervising staff.
- Assist with planning and running in-service trainings.
- Assist in teaching American Red Cross Lifeguarding classes and staff recertification.
- Teach CPR/AED, First Aid, BBP, & other related courses for staff recertification and community safety.
- Perform “safety drills” on lifeguard staff and document all drills in writing.
- Perform “quick checks” on actively scanning lifeguards.
- Ensure the safety of staff and program participants; utilize resources from Redwoods Group as needed.
- Assure cleanliness of pool deck and surrounding areas.
- Be available during evenings/weekends.
- Keep all swim test records up to date, staff phone lists, staff certifications and other staff records are up to date.
- Adhere to all points of the Lifeguard Code of Conduct (attached).
- Reads all YMCA communications including but not limited to email daily.
- Checks and returns all Aquatic phone calls and messages.
- Completes all other duties as assigned.
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, Administrative functions will include:
- Assisting in the management and staffing of the Y swim lesson program at the Wellness location to include: “hands-on” teaching, registration procedures, parent handouts, program evaluations, and other related paperwork (80% – 20%). This includes time spent on deck with parents and swim instructors and/or lifeguards.
- Coordinate with the Director proper substitutes for Lifeguards and Swim Instructors. If needed provide coverage for shift changes and/or absentee staff.
- Assist in the pool maintenance, chemical checks, and temperature control. Reporting any issues to Aquatics Director immediately.
- Coordination and overseeing of all private swim lessons to include; registration procedures, matching instructors with families, supervision of instructors and being the point of contact with program participants.
- Monitor, inventory and replace all first aid equipment at all aquatic facilities.
- Coordination of all aquatic rentals, birthday parties including but limited too; point of contact with program participant, registration, staffing and management of lifeguards.
- Provide prompt and proper care for person(s) in need. Report injuries and complete required forms.
- Support and follow YMCA policies and decisions and answer member questions about the YMCA and its programs and fitness related questions.
- Share on-call shifts for aquatic department responsibilities with the Shift leads and Aquatic Director.
- Any other duties assigned by the Aquatics Director or VP of Programs.
Programmatic functions will include:
- Lead instructional swim classes following YMCA protocol. Having an understanding of strokes and techniques; the ability to teach and train new instructors.
- Develop session evaluations for parents. Collect and analyze data; offer feedback to Aquatic Director. Feedback should be intended to improve the services provide.
- Perform lifeguard duties as needed.
- Enforce aquatic rules and policies.
- Attend staff meetings and staff in-services.
- Learn and teach the mission of the Summerville Family YMCA which is to put our core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility into practice through programs and facilities that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.
QUALIFICATIONS and KNOW HOW:
- Current American Red Cross and/or YMCA Lifeguarding certification. American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor and/or YMCA Lifeguard Instructor certification preferred. If not certified as an instructor, the willingness to receive certification within 3 months.
- Fundamentals of Teaching YMCA Swim Lessons or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment is required.
- Current CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED and First Aid certifications or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment is required.
- Current Swim lesson centered certifications (USA swimming, concussion training) required; YMCA certifications preferred.
- Minimum two (2) years’ aquatics experience is required. Must be at least 18 years old at time of the hire. Experience with supervising others is required.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Office software and office machines.
- Must be able to learn and use YMCA specific software within 30 days of employment.
- Must possess a cooperative spirit committed to character development by promoting and demonstrating caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility to staff, lay leaders, YMCA members, program participants and the general public.
- Ability to relate with pool patrons in a positive manner.
- Must be professional, alert, courteous, and tactful.
- Experience in chemical management preferred.
- Understanding of the role of volunteerism within the YMCA.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors’ communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change, models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200-lb. person.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position requires bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
|_x_ Walking||_x_ Sitting||_x_ Climbing||_x_ Crouching|
|_x_ Stooping||_x_ Standing||_x_ Kneeling||_x _ Swimming|
|_x_ Carrying (min of 25 lbs)||_x_ Pushing||_x_ Lifting (min of 25 lbs)||
The administrative and programmatic function hours of this job are expected to be an approximately equal number of hours worked per week. The incumbent is responsible to adjust their schedule as necessary to ensure proper administrative and programmatic functions. A 30-day review will be conducted after the employee start date. The purpose of such an initial introductory period is to provide an opportunity for both Summerville YMCA and the new employee to assess their respective satisfaction and suitability to the job.
_____________________________ ______________________________ Employee Date Aquatics Director Date