Job Title: Manager on Duty
Branch: Ponds or Downtown YMCA
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly), part-time (29 hours per week)
Reports to: Executive Director
Revision Date: 02/01/2023 Starting Pay: $12.00
The employee is required to take the required YMCA on-line courses prior to first day of work. Employee must also be CPR certified (Adult and Child) within 3 months of hire.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Manager on Duty provides oversight of and assistance with the ongoing activities of the YMCA. This may be in the absence of, or in conjunction with, any Directors who are on duty at the time. The Manager on Duty is responsible for ensuring the staff, members and guests have a safe, clean and pleasant environment in which to work and exercise.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college/university in business, marketing, human resources or related field, preferred or –
- 2-year degree with at least 2 years of related work experience or –
- High School diploma with at least 4 years of related work experience.
- Ability to present information and respond to questions from groups of staff directors, staff, members and general public.
- Ability to problem solve and effectively communicate with staff, co-workers and/or members.
- Ability to perform support tasks as requested by the Senior Membership Directors.
- Highly motivated with the consistent ability to meet/exceed goals.
- Self-driven with the ability to set effective team and individual goals and take ownership for results.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and adapt to changing contexts and priorities.
- Strong analytical and critical-thinking skills with the ability to identify and leverage relevant data to use in planning and decision-making.
- Ability to understand, adapt to and interact with diverse people, teams, perspectives and cultures.
- Communicate with people at all levels in a positive way
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately on a computer using our software tools as needed
- Ability to support management and philosophies of the Summerville Family YMCA
- Must be extremely organized, accurate, reliable, and diligent in meeting deadlines
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Confidentiality is imperative, must demonstrate maturity and discretion
Maintain a clean and orderly facility
2. Take the lead in responding to any emergency and be familiar with all emergency procedures
3. Deal with unruly, impolite or out-of control visitors in a pleasant but firm manner
4. Make rounds of the entire facility every 30 minutes, including the locker rooms and showers
- Manage room capacities and monitor all rooms in the facility
6. Notice and remedy unsafe conditions
7. Ensure all doors to rooms not in use are locked at all times
8. Give tours to prospective or new members
9. Know and enforce guidelines in age and training restricted areas
10. Refill pre-moistened wipes, toilet paper, swim suit bags, and paper towels as needed
11. Be familiar with the proper use of all equipment—cardio, strength, and free weights. If no trainer is present it is your responsibility to assist members
12. Set up, tear down, and clean up after meetings, and other events
13. Know the location of and proper use of first aid supplies and AED units
14. Monitor lifeguard activity
15. Dress appropriately for the position—dress slacks or khakis, YMCA shirt, name badge and closed-toe shoes.
16. Be a good-will ambassador for the Y.
17. Maintain CPR and First Aid certification
- Manage staff in the facility in place of their Direct Supervisor. Staff should be in YMCA uniform, wear nametag, refrain from using their cell phones
19. Be able to open or close the facility as needed
- Morning MODs need to: turn on TVs and music, scan facility, and prepare to allow Members in the facility. Evening MODs need to: check all rooms that they are empty, check each door that it is locked, turn off all TVs and music, release staff as numbers decrease
Carrying _X_ Kneeling_X_ Pushing_X_ Sitting_X_
Climbing_X_ Lifting_X (min 25 lbs)_Running_X_ Stooping_X_
Crouching_X_ Pulling_X_ Standing_X_ Walking_X_
YMCA Competency Model: Leader
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The above job description offers a synopsis of the Summerville Family YMCA’s Member Engagement Supervisor’s position. Various alternate jobs and duties may be assigned on a case by case basis.
By signing, I understand and accept the stated job description and pledge to fulfill my duties accordingly.
Employee Signature Date
Executive Director Signature Date