Job Title: Wellness Director
FLSA Status: Full-Time, exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Starting Pay: $36,000.00
The employee is required to take the required YMCA on-line training courses within 30 days of hire. Employee must also be CPR certified (adult & child).
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Wellness Director should be a dynamic, highly motivated individual tasked to cater to a diverse population as well as provide staff leadership and development in the areas of wellness, group exercise, and personal training. The Wellness Director will be challenged to provide a successful track record in fiscal management and the execution of innovative wellness programs. This individual must successfully integrate efforts throughout the areas of Healthy Living; Youth Development and Social Responsibility; increase membership through new member acquisition and retention of existing members, and drive revenue through personal and group training and wellness program sales. The Wellness Director must have refined verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels of management, staff, members, volunteers, and guests. The Wellness Director will be required to work flexible hours, especially during peak times of facility usage that include some weekends and holidays.
Duties & Responsibilities
ESTABLISH AND IMPLEMENT A DEPARTMENT PLAN
- Implement wellness, group exercise and personal training programs that promote retention of existing members and engage new members.
- Direct staff to support health and wellness initiatives to achieve retention goals.
- Analyze data, systems and processes to recognize growth and retention opportunities within the Wellness department.
- Work with the Membership Director to maximize the experience for new members.
- Drive revenue through the sales of personal training, group training, and wellness programming.
- Ensure proper implementation of wellness floor schedules and procedures to provide maximum opportunities for member/staff connections.
- Collaborate and work effectively with all departments to achieve desired results.
- Identify and employ best practices in systems and technology to support effective management of the Wellness department.
- Utilize available technology, reporting tools and data that enhance wellness participation and member retention.
- Communicate equipment repair and maintenance needs with Executive Director to ensure all equipment is in proper and efficient working order at all times.
- Monitor daily operations to adhere to all safety standards and policies.
- Ensure all staff are current with required certifications.
- Evaluate group fitness schedule for usage and make needed changes to schedule.
GROW AND RETAIN MEMBERSHIP
Create and implement wellness and lifestyle programs, personal training and group exercise participation through product knowledge and interactions with existing and potential members. Collaborate with department leads to maximize enrollments in program registration.
BUILD AND MANAGE A GREAT STAFF TEAM
- Recruit, select, develop and retain appropriate skill depth level for the department. Supervise department staff. Support training and career succession plan for staff team.
- Provide leadership through established performance goals and standards, regular assessment of group fitness and training staff performance including performance evaluations, and staff meetings. Communicate expectations to all staff.
PREPARE AND MANAGE THE BUDGET
Collaborate with the Executive Director to plan and manage the Wellness budget. Control payroll and department purchasing costs within the budget and financial guidelines.
- Promote and represent the mission and core values of the Summerville Family YMCA.
- Bachelor degree from a four-year college/university in health sciences, wellness, kinesiology or related field of study preferred or –
- 2-year degree with at least 2 years of related work experience or –
- High School diploma with at least 4 years of related work experience.
- ACSM, NSCA, CPR/AED and First Aid certifications required.
- Minimum 3-years management experience overseeing wellness, group exercise, personal training programs essential, YMCA experience preferred.
- Microsoft Office proficiency required.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to train, mentor and develop staff.
- Demonstrated skills in sales, fundraising, public relations and programming for wellness initiatives.