Job Title: Assistant Aquatics Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly) Full Time
Reports To: Aquatics Director
Job: Starting Pay $15.00
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director, the Assistant Aquatics Director will support the Aquatics Director with administrative duties while also managing the swim lesson program, staff certification and swim team coaching. The scope of the position frequently requires working weekends and evenings, teaching swim lessons, coordination of family aquatics events and other various roles in the aquatics department.
- Oversight of daily pool operations at the Wellness center.
- Engage in active listening with members in order to build relationships, understand individual’s goals and interests, and take the initiative to assist in the achievement of those goals.
- Assisting in the management and staffing of the Y swim lesson program at the Wellness location to include: “hands-on” teaching, registration procedures, parent handouts, program evaluations, and other related paperwork (80% – 20%). This includes time spent on deck with parents, swim instructors and/or lifeguards. Incorporate all five-program components into each lesson: personal safety, water orientation/stroke development, water sports and games, rescue and personal growth.
- Coordination and overseeing of all private swim lessons to include; registration procedures, matching instructors with families, supervision of instructors and being the point of contact with program participants.
- Coordination of all aquatic rentals, birthday parties including but limited too; point of contact with program participant, registration, staffing and management of lifeguards.
- Coordination of all aquatic family events, including but limited too; planning, creating and implementing new quality programming & current events. Working closely with the Marketing Director to promote events, registration, staffing and management of lifeguards.
- Teach CPR/AED, First Aid, BBP, & other related courses for staff recertification and community safety. Assist with teaching lifeguard trainings for staff and community.
- This position requires 12 hours of direct service (i.e. guarding, swim instruction, private lessons, etc.) 15 hours direct coaching, 12 administration with the understanding that hours may vary and are subject to change in each area of the department.
- Maintain a clear and consistent line of communication with all supervisors. Enforce pool rules. Handle issues as they arise in a professional manner. Attending all staff in-services.
- Coordinates, plans, organizes, promoting and implementation of the a Summer Swim League program CCAA League or East Cooper Swim League; including but not limited too; Plan and create meet line ups for dual, and championship meets, attending meets, communicate with parents, volunteers and head coach information in a timely manner.
- Leading and coordinating the Spring and Summer Stroke Clinics in April and July.
- All other duties assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS and KNOW HOW:
- Minimum two (2) years’ aquatics experience is required. Must be at least 18 years old at time of the hire. Experience with supervising others is required.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills. The ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- 2+ years coaching at the club level for pre-competitive (ages 5-10) and age group (ages 7-14). Current USA Swimming coach preferred or the ability to become certified within 90 days of hire.
- Current American Red Cross and/or YMCA Lifeguarding certification. American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor and/or YMCA Lifeguard Instructor certification preferred. If not certified as an instructor, the willingness to receive certification within 3 months.
- Current YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor certified and/or Red Cross WSI. If not certified as an instructor, the willingness to receive certification within 6 months of hire.
- Enjoy working with children.
- Must be able to use Microsoft Office software and office machines. The ability able to learn and use YMCA specific software within 30 days of employment.
- Must possess a cooperative spirit committed to character development by promoting and demonstrating caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility to staff, lay leaders, YMCA members, program participants and the public.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200-lb. person.
- Ability to walk, stand, and sit (including on the floor) for long periods of time.
- Exposure to communicable diseases and bodily fluids.
- Must be able to lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit while maintaining alertness for several hours at a time.
- Position requires bending, leaning, kneeling, and walking.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
|_x_ Walking||_x_ Sitting||_x_ Climbing||_x_ Crouching|
|_x_ Stooping||_x_ Standing||_x_ Kneeling||_x _ Swimming|
|_x_ Carrying (min of 25 lbs)||_x_ Pushing||_x_ Lifting (min of 25 lbs)||
The incumbent is responsible to adjust their schedule as necessary to ensure proper administrative and programmatic functions. The incumbent is expected to work varied hours and shifts that range from mornings, evenings and weekends, with some shifts overlapping with the Aquatics Director. The incumbent will engage in active listening with members in order to build relationships, understand each individual’s goals and interests and take the initiative to assist in the achievement of those goals.
Maintain a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA mission and goals at all times while maintaining a clear and consistent line of communication with the Aquatics Director. A 30-day review will be conducted after the employee start date. The purpose of such an initial introductory period is to provide an opportunity for both Summerville YMCA and the new employee to assess their respective satisfaction and suitability to the job.
_____________________________ ______________________________ Employee Date Aquatics Director Date