Job Title: After School Counselor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly) Part-Time
Reports to: Family Program Director
Job: Grade ______Starting pay
Revision Date: July 18, 2022
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The after school counselor at Summerville Family YMCA maintains a supportive, positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals, promotes the potential of all youth, and provides a quality experience to both youth and their families.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Provides direct supervision of a group of children in the After School Program. Provides a quality experience to children and parents focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Supervises and intentionally interacts with counselors and their group of children.
- Sign participants in/out according to program standards
- Implements program activities that are scheduled and are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and consistent with YMCA values.
- Takes head counts on the bus and after leaving the bus, makes sure all children are sitting and buckled properly before the bus leaves.
- Communicate with Director any changes needed to make to schedule.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness
- Patrol indoor and outdoor play areas for trash or hazardous materials. Scan equipment to ensure working conditions.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to medical and disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Through knowledge of Emergency Procedure, i.e. fire or incremental weather.
- Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions.
- Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s core values and has a desire to fulfill community needs.
- Provides a high-quality experience to children and parents by planning and implementing program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate, and consistent with the Y’s core values.
- Improvises quickly and appropriately when faced with unexpected circumstances, so as to better meet the needs of members.
- Generates and implements new ideas and approaches for improving member experiences by seeking out and including diverse points of view.
- Maintains positive relationships with other staff and participants through seeking to understand the other’s point of view, building credibility, and remaining calm in challenging situations.
- Discipline in a fair manner. Time Out is the ONLY acceptable form of discipline.
- YMCA uniform per department standards. i.e. khaki pants/shorts (must have 5-inch inseam), YMCA polo with name printed and tennis shoes. Jeans are NOT acceptable in any color.
- Other duties as assigned.
Carrying _X_ Kneeling_X_ Pushing_X_ Sitting_X_
Climbing_X_ Lifting_X (min 25 lbs)_ Running_X_ Stooping_X_
Crouching_X_ Pulling_X_ Standing_X_ Walking_X_
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fundraising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with members, staff, and others contacted in the course of the work.
- Maintain cooperative community relationships.
- Exercise good judgment, flexibility, creativity, and sensitivity in response to changing situations and needs.
- Set an example for the participants by displaying YMCA Core Values: caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, lead and participate in a range of activities in a variety of outdoor/indoor settings.
∙ High school diploma or currently enrolled.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications within 3 months of hire. Completion of all required on-line courses required before 1st day of work.
Employee Signature Date
Family Program Director Date