Job Title: Water Fitness Instructor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt (Hourly), Part-Time
Reports to: Aquatics Director
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, this position is responsible for planning, organizing, and teaching water exercise courses under the YMCA of the USA model. The Instructor should have a good knowledge base about exercise science, training principles, cardiorespiratory endurance training, anatomy, and biomechanics. This position will provide water aerobics instruction, monitor, educate patrons on fitness and safety, and maintains a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for class participants
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Must be an active and energetic in water person.
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Prepare progressive exercise plans for program participants.
- Willingness to be trained in additional water exercise venues and certifications
- Adult & Pediatrics CPR/AED/First Aid Certification within 60 days of hiring date.
- AEA Water Fitness Instructor certification within 60 days of hiring date.
- Specialty Certification required if teaching Silver Sneakers Splash, Aqua Barre or other various specialty water classes.
The Water Fitness Instructor is responsible for:
- Promote a positive environment that fosters fun, safety, and our YMCA values
- Maintain good public relations with members and always represent the best interests of the YMCA.
- Arrive 10 – 15 minutes prior to the start of class to set up music and equipment. Sets up and takes down class equipment. Report damaged equipment to Aquatics Director.
- Be responsible and fulfill your commitments to the scheduled classes. You are responsible for finding your own substitutes. Notify Aquatics Director of substitute instructor.
- Be familiar with the YMCA’s way to fitness and knowledgeable of components of fitness.
- Actively teach your classes in the water, and from deck, giving proper demonstrations and clear directions.
- Prepare exercise workouts accordingly.
- Develop positive relationships with participants and provide motivational support and guidance.
- Adhere to YMCA policies and procedures including emergency and safety procedures. Complete accident/incident reports as necessary.
- Class will be evaluated periodically through a questionnaire by class participants, and by observation of Aquatics Director.
- Attend all trainings and meetings as directed.
- Maintain all required certifications
||_x _ Swimming
|_x Carrying (min 25 lbs)
||_x_ Lifting (min 25 lbs)
- No Alcohol or Drugs will be used on the job at any time (SFYMCA has a Drug & Alcohol free workplace policy)
- Report all job accidents the same day the accident happens.
- Obtain authorization from your supervisor for all non-emergency treatments for accidents.
- Wear seat belts at all times in company vehicles
- Keep the area where you work clean and neat at all times.
- Do not remove or bypass any guards on any machinery at any time.
- Ask you supervisor when you need additional equipment or instructions to get the job done safely.
- Lift with your legs, not your back, and get assistance with loads over 50 pounds.
- Advise your supervisor of any hazardous conditions.
- Follow all other written and spoken safety rules.
- High Diploma or equivalent.
A 90-day review will be conducted after the employee start date. The purpose of such an initial introductory period is to provide an opportunity for both Summerville YMCA and the new employee to assess their respective satisfaction and suitability to the job.